[VIDEO] Supporting the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community
Equalizing the Drive-Thru
See how the Touchscreen Drive-Thru makes the ordering experience identical for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and any other guest, truly eliminating any stigma or discrimination.
When developing the Touchscreen Drive-Thru, one of our goals was to make the customer experience so easy and frictionless that it required zero interaction with an intercom.
We quickly discovered that our system opened up the possibility of an enjoyable drive-thru experience to a community whose access had historically been limited. Our Touchscreen Drive-Thru creates the opportunity for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to place, pay for, and receive their orders in a fast, efficient, hassle-free way.
We believe the Touchscreen Drive-Thru is a big step towards rectifying the inequalities that are inherent in a traditional drive-thru. Until now, restaurants claimed that accommodating the Deaf and Hard of Hearing created an “undue burden” on their operation.
But no longer.
The Touchscreen Drive-Thru provides Quick Service and Fast Casual restaurant chains the opportunity to make a fast, economical change to their drive-thru operation and open it to all those who had been discouraged from using it in the past.
We want to know your thoughts!
Want to share your experiences with the drive thru - traditional or touchscreen? Tag your posts on social with #SupportDHOH, and we'll be listening. Keep scrolling for a list of resources on how to get involved with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community.
1. National Association of the Deaf: The nation’s premier civil rights organization of, by and for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
2. Hands & Voices: A non-profit, parent-driven organization dedicated to supporting families of children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
3. Deaf Education: A site that supports the educational possibilities provided to children who are deaf/hard of hearing.
To find your state’s association, visit the NAD’s State Association Affiliate’s page.
1. DEAF CAN!: A Michigan-based organization dedicated to linking Deaf and Hard of Hearing people with the community through communication, advocacy, leadership and socialization.
2. KT Maviglia Fund for Hearing: A foundation dedicated to raising community awareness, providing financial support to families, and fighting for insurance coverage of hearing devices in Michigan.
3. Michigan Deaf Association: An organization with the mission to help improve the lives of Deaf and Hard of Hearing citizens of Michigan.